Table of Contents Hide
- What is a Money Order Machine?
- Money Order Machine: How Money Orders Work
- Money Order Machine: How to Buy Money Order?
- Where Can I Purchase Money Order and How Much Does it Cost?
- Western Union Money Order Machine: What is Western Union Money Order?
- Western Union Money Order Machine: Where to get a Western Union Money Order
- How to Load a Western Union Money Order Machine
- MoneyGram Money Order Machine: MoneyGram Money Order
- Walmart Money Order Machine: Walmart Money Order
- The United States Postal Service Money Order
- How to Send International Money Orders Using the United States Postal Service
- Automated Money Order Machine
- How to Fill a Money Order
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the maximum limit for a money order?
- Which printer is used for money orders?
- Can you make fake money orders?
- Does a money order have a routing and account number?
- Can you cash a money order at an ATM?
- Do money orders expire?
- Bottom Line
- We Also Recommend:
A money order is a substitute method for cash payments. But in this case, a check is used from a third party. Here, the third party gives you a check when you pay for a money order. And this money order can pay for bills, given to someone as a gift, and used to make purchases.
If you give it to someone, the person can either exchange it for physical cash or deposit it into their bank account. Money orders can be purchased via Western Union agents, banks, and specific retail outlets.
Meanwhile, a money order machine is used to print money orders. And you’ll learn all you need to know about a money order machine, how it works, where you can get them, etc.
What is a Money Order Machine?
A money order machine is an electronic device that is used to print money orders for customers. The United States Postal Service (USPS) makes money orders accessible for public purchase.
Just like bank checks, money orders are printed on a unique type of paper that contains serial numbers, and information for identification and security. Therefore, using the purchaser’s information (including who the money order will be paid to) and the denomination desired by the purchaser, the money order is created when the ‘check-like’ paper is inserted into the money order machine.
At the end of the transaction, the merchant issues to the purchaser a printed receipt that’s attached to the money order machine.
Money Order Machine: How Money Orders Work
Money orders work in so many ways. Let’s look at them:
- Money orders can be used to send money through emails.
- Money orders work like checks. They can be cashed or deposited. And you’re expected to sign the back of the money order, just like a check.
- You can purchase money orders from the United States Postal Service, Walmart, Western Union agents, credit unions, convenience stores, and banks.
- It is often limited to $1,000 per money order transaction. You’ll be issued a receipt after your transaction. The information on the receipt will track or cancel your money order if any problem occurs.
- Fill in the sender’s, and recipient’s information after purchasing a money order. Money orders often require that you fill in the sender’s name and the sender’s address (this depends on the financial institution).
- Provide the payee’s name and address.
- The sender of the money order has to sign the money order.
Read Also: CHECK REGISTER BOOK: How to Get One
Money Order Machine: How to Buy Money Order?
If you want to purchase a money order, here are the steps you should follow:
- Go to a money order issuer with your debit card or cash, amount of money, and the recipient’s name.
- Supply the required information on the money order. The required information includes your name, recipient’s name, amount, etc. After that, you have to sign the money order.
- You will then be issued a receipt at the end of your purchase. Do not trash or misplace the receipt. It can be used to track or cancel your money order if anything goes wrong.
Where Can I Purchase Money Order and How Much Does it Cost?
The choice of where you should buy your money order could be determined by the cost. However, money orders aren’t usually expensive. While you can get a money order for as low as $1, some issuers like credit unions and banks may charge you up to $5 or even more.
Meanwhile, you can purchase a money order at any of the following places:
- Western Union
- Walmart supermarket
- The United States Postal Service (USPS)
- Credit Unions
Western Union Money Order Machine: What is Western Union Money Order?
Western Union money order provides a credible substitute to checks or cash. Therefore, this money order can be used for various reasons including payment of bills, giving it as a gift, and making purchases.
Western Union Money Order Machine: Where to get a Western Union Money Order
A Western Union money order can be gotten at any participating Western Union agent. You can visit a Western Union participating agent near you to get a money order.
How to Load a Western Union Money Order Machine
Usually, a Western Union money order machine contains money that is loaded by the Western Union money order agent. But at some point, the money order machine could run out of cash. Now, what do you do in such a case? Simply load the machine with more cash.
However, if you cannot do this, then follow these procedures to load the money order machine:
- Tap on the ‘Function’ button on the machine.
- Press the button with the number ‘9’
- Then press the ‘Enter’ button
- After that, the machine will show you a message on the screen requesting that you put in the paper and a code
- Input the pin code for that money order machine.
- Next is, the machine will display a message on the screen that says “check the ribbon”. Therefore you have to take away the paper module beneath the table and press the ‘Enter’ button.
- Then the screen will display a message that says ‘unlocked’. And you can now take away the paper module then load more money into the machine.
- Voila! You can now print more money orders.
MoneyGram Money Order Machine: MoneyGram Money Order
MoneyGram money orders can be purchased from financial institutions, supermarkets, check cashiers, and other retailers. Meanwhile, you may be charged a processing fee. So, here are the procedures to get a MoneyGram money order:
- Locate a MoneyGram money order location
- Purchase the money order and fill-up the form you’ll be given with the required information (including the sender’s and receiver’s information)
- Send your money order in person or by mail
- Keep your receipt in a safe place
To assist you with finding the MoneyGram money order location, quickly download and install the MoneyGram app.
Suggested Article: REMOTE CLOSING: Step by Step Guide to the House Remote Closing Process
Walmart Money Order Machine: Walmart Money Order
Walmart money order services include payment and cash out of money orders. At Walmart, you can also buy and send gifts corresponding to the amount of money on your money order.
Walmart charges a fee for cashing money orders that were issued at Walmart. To cash your money order at Walmart, simply visit a Walmart supermarket near you with your ID as proof that you are the legitimate receiver of the money order.
The United States Postal Service Money Order
You can purchase money orders from the U.S. Postal Service. Therefore, you purchase or cash money order at any U. S. Post Office location.
Nonetheless, here’s how to send domestic money orders using the United States Postal Service:
- Locate any U.S. postal office
- Select the money order amount you would like to send. It could be up to $1,000 depending on what you want.
- Fill up the money order form given to you. Then pay for the money order (the dollar value) and issue fees.
- Ensure your receipts are kept safe.
How to Send International Money Orders Using the United States Postal Service
International money orders are sent just the way domestic money orders are sent.
Automated Money Order Machine
An automated money order machine offers customers with money order an experience that’s similar to that of an Automated Teller Machine (ATM). Hence, these customers use their money orders to transact directly with the automated money order machine.
Here are the features of the North American automated money order machine:
- Uploads all transactions automatically to the manufacturer
- Prints money order faster
- Uses a customer’s store’s phone connection to communicate with a manufacturer
- Prints close-out reports and shifts for customers
- Views a company’s previous and current reports on its website.
How to Fill a Money Order
Before you fill a money order, there are essential things you should keep in mind:
- The first thing you should do after buying the money order is to write the recipient’s name. Why? You might misplace the money order and if another person picks it up, they can fill it out and cash it. There’s a field that’s written “pay to the order of” or “pay to”. That’s where you should write the receiver’s name.
- Secondly, there’s another field that’s written: “sender”, “from”, or “purchaser”. As the sender, that’s where you should write your name.
- Then locate the purchaser’s section and write down your address. Another section might also be provided for you to write the recipient’s address.
- In the memo section, you’ll be asked to write in the order. You can either write the order number or the receiver’s account number.
- After that, turn to the front money order. And you’ll see fields titled with “purchaser”, “signer”, “from”, or “purchaser’s signature”, then sign on the field.
- Lastly, ensure you keep your receipt safe until the recipient has received the money.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the maximum limit for a money order?
Money order often has a maximum limit of $1,000.
Which printer is used for money orders?
Laser check printers are used for money orders.
Can you make fake money orders?
As much as money orders are convenient for performing cash transactions, they are prone to fraud. Anyone can fall victim to this fraud including purchasers.
Does a money order have a routing and account number?
Unlike a bank check, a money order does not have a routing and account number. However, it will require your name and address.
Can you cash a money order at an ATM?
The United States Postal Service money orders are acceptable by banks, just like they do for the normal checks. Therefore, they can be used at an ATM. Meanwhile, remember to sign the back of the money order before you deposit.
Do money orders expire?
Domestic money orders do not expire.